The RiverWalk Church of Christ has a long history in the city of Wichita.
A small group of people first met together on August 23rd, 1903 in the home of a Wichita doctor. That small beginning grew into a local church that is in its third permanent location and, effective Spring 2009, our 4th name.
From a building at the corner of 1st and Matthewson, to another building at 1st and Cleveland, to the current location completed in June of 1971 (and expanded in the early 1980′s), the congregation has chosen to maintain its presence in the heart of the city. The most recent name change was made to better reflect our location along the banks of the Arkansas River. The name also draws on mental images of water, as reflected in many Scriptures.
Through the years this congregation has assisted in planting new congregations in Wichita, as well as various mission points worldwide. Our congregation has been instrumental in providing leadership for Carpenter Place (formerly known as Maude Carpenter Children’s Home), Christ Villa Nursing Home, apartments for senior adults, and the Mustard Seed Project.
Our presence downtown enables us to be on the “front lines” of meeting human need, including food and clothing assistance, serving the homeless, providing school supplies, and many other avenues for helping people.